Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: Catching Up With LHP Lachlan Wells

Today we are pleased to present the below Q&A with Twins left-handed pitching prospect, Lachlan Wells. He began 2016 in extended spring training, ready to go to Elizabethton after pitching in the GCL in 2015. Instead, in late June, he was sent to Cedar Rapids and was very good for the Kernels the rest of the season. In 12 starts, he went 6-4 with a miniscule 1.77 ERA. In 71.1 innings, he walked 16 and struck out 63. Very impressive numbers on their own, but when you consider he will not turn 20 until late February, it is even moreso.

“Wells grew up in Newcastle, Australia, and played cricket through age 14. That’s when he began to focus more on baseball. At age 15, he was already working in the upper-80s and was seen by Howie Norsetter. In 2015, Wells went 5-2 with a 2.09 ERA and a 0.97 WHIP in the GCL. In 47.1 innings, he walked 11 and struck out 49. As the season ended, he traveled to Japan for the 18U World Cup. Wells now sits in the low-90s. He has a good curveball, and his changeup is probably his best pitch. He has a funky delivery with a lot of arm action. He can be deceptive to hitters as well. His twin brother Alexander signed with the Orioles organization late in 2015 and made his pro debut in 2016. ”

That was an excerpt from Wells’ profile in the 2017 Minnesota Twins Prospect Handbook which you will be able to order for yourself today! The Prospect Handbook will be available in paperback and as a pdf for immediate download. Get your copy ordered today!A year ago, we did a Get To Know ‘Em Q&A with Lachlan Wells following his debut season in the GCL. Today, we dig just a little bit deeper to find out his thoughts about his 2016 season and more.

Seth Stohs (SS): We’ll start right from the beginning of 2016. It was your first spring training in the States. What was the experience like? Was it what you expected?

Lachlan Wells (LW): Well, getting to spring training and seeing a lot of guys there compared to extended spring in 2015 was very nerve wracking, and it wasn't what I expected it to be. So that was a bit of a shock. But once I got settled in, I was fine.

SS: What things did you focus on during extended spring training?

LW: I focused on pitch location and first-pitch strikes a lot in extended becoming more consistent with all my pitches for strikes and being able to improve of putting guys away in 0-2 and 1-2 counts.

SS: Were you expecting to go to Elizabethton from extended, and were you surprised to go to Cedar Rapids?

LW: I had my bags packed and ready to go to Elizabethton. Then a couple of days before the bus was leaving to Etown I got called in Brad Steil’s office, and he said I was staying in Fort Myers for a few more days, then joining Cedar Rapids after the All-Star break.

SS: You were one of the younger players on the Kernels roster the rest of the season. How was the adjustment to the clubhouse in Cedar Rapids?

LW: The adjustment from extended to Cedar Rapids was a little nerve-wracking, but I had a lot of help getting to know what goes on up there and the way they go about their business by Sam Gibbons which helped me a lot.

SS: You put up remarkable numbers throughout your time with the Kernels. In you opinion, what were some of your keys to success?

LW: I just went up there and tried to be the best I could, and not taking a step back just because I was younger than a lot of guys. Also, in between starts I would work a lot with (Kernels pitching coach) JP (Martinez) with video or in bullpens just to make little adjustments that would help me.

SS: What were your goals heading into the 2016 season, and how do you feel you did in accomplishing them?

LW: My goals were to play in Cedar Rapids and to improve/learn as much as I could during the season. I accomplished by listening to all the advice that had been thrown at me by all the pitching coaches I've worked with and taking (that) into bullpens then into games.

SS: What has your offseason been like? What are some of the things you done to stay away from baseball?

LW: My offseason has been nice and relaxed. I've been playing a lot of golf and going to beach or hanging by the pool with friends.

SS:A what point do you start your workouts and throwing programs for the 2017 season?

LW: I started my throwing program in December, and I've been working out since October.

SS: What pitches do you throw? What did you consider your out-pitch through the season?

LW: I throw a fastball, curveball, and change-up. I would have to say my out-pitch would be my change-up.

SS: Have you started to think about your goals for the 2017 season yet?

LW: My goals for the 2017 season would be pitching in Fort Myers with the Miracle and just to improve my pitching in all areas.

SS: Is it possible that you could pitch in the WBC this spring? You’ve pitched in international competitions before. What does it mean for you to represent your country?

LW: It is possible that I could be pitching in the WBC. There is no better feeling to be out on the field wearing the green and gold, and I would love to do it again.

SS: What are the areas of your game that you would like to spend time working to improve in the offseason and going forward?

LW: I'd like to improve my strength, so I'll be in the weight room working hard to improve on that as much as I can. Also, my fitness, so I'll be running a bit more this offseason to improve that.

SS: What is the best piece of advice you got from a teammate or coach in 2016?

LW: The best advice I got was just have fun.

SS: What music do you listen to before a start or on the bus rides?

LW: I liked listening to a bit of everything. Doesn't really worry me.

SS: Favorite movies from the long bus rides in the Midwest League?

LW: When I wasn't sleeping on the bus, I'd say Eastbound and Down TV series. Always a good laugh.

We certainly wish him continued success during the 2017 season and beyond.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to discuss below.

Click here to view the article

Still so young, I wonder with his success last season could still bump him to FTM to begin the 2017 season or if they will hold him back to begin the year? It sure seems he proved everything he could at CR.

How cool would it be to have Wells and a healthy Thorpe both having quality seasons this upcoming year?

6'1????
He grew 5 inches in a year?

Wow.

In his first listings, I'm pretty sure they had him at 5'9 or 5'10.  I have all the old Instruct and GCL rosters over the past few years, I've been meaning to scan them in for comparisons but you can see weight and height difference over time.  Someone like Gordon when he first came up to where he is now.  The Twins are very good about getting those rosters out, more so than any other club in the GCL.

Just curious but what kind of upside does Lachlan have? I know he just played in A ball last year but then again he was just 19 and put up great stats across the board. His 1.77 ERA makes me think he just might potentially be better than expected.

Edited by FormerMinnasotan