Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: Rule 5 Results: Twins Take Miguel Diaz, Likely To Trade

So San Diego not only traded for Diaz, the first pick but for Luis Torrens the 2nd pick; they also personally had the 3rd pick.

All of these guys were in A ball or rookie leagues last years, I am extremely curious about their end-game. Surely they can't carry all three, they didn't figure out a genius loophole in the process did they?

I just saw the confusion on the picture and thought this was a good time to add a request.  Often on TD there is a picture with expectations that we will know who is in it, but most of us do not have that high a face recognition hardware and it would be great if all the photos used had captions.

This man agrees:

http://golistyourself.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/This-Random-Guy-Paid-Us-to-A-Lot-to-Write-About-How-Sexy-He-Is-360x240.jpg

/ he's what comes up first when I do a Google image search today for "random guy"

So San Diego not only traded for Diaz, the first pick but for Luis Torrens the 2nd pick;

Oops, that cancels part of my logic regarding the Reds and Turner. I forgot that with Rule 5 you have to wait a few hours to see how things shake out.

The best news from this morning's activity is that the Twins DID NOT lose Lewis Thorpe. If he can get back to the pitcher he was, he can be special!

Agreed!  For all the interest in who might be included in a potential Dozier trade, ten years from now we may remember this day as the day we didn't lose Lewis.  And the day every team in the league passed on him...almost a reverse Johan.

Or not.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say we get him back via Rule 5's methods, before next off-season. :) The Reds also took a Yankees catcher in the first round, and probably they are thinking they will try to keep one or the other but not both. Since more than half of Rule 5 picks get offered back anyway, or a trade is worked out satisfactory to both teams, and Turner was apparently the Reds' second choice, I'll be surprised if he sticks. 

Particularly since he managed only a .646 OPS in AA last year. His bat's just not ready, and has low upside at best, so it'll be hard to keep a glove-only catcher all year.

Well, the Reds other catcher pick Luis Torrens only managed a .664 in A ball last year (not even high-A).  They may have picked him higher to try to flip him, knowing they could get a guy like Turner later?

The Reds are pretty thin at catcher and seem determined to rebuild slowly, so who knows.

EDIT: And it's done! Torrens flipped to the Padres.

Edited by spycake

Surely they can't carry all three, they didn't figure out a genius loophole in the process did they?

As mentioned above, the picking team can work out some kind of considerations in order to keep the player and option him. Cash, FA cap room, or another player in trade. That might be San Diego's plan here. They were apparently carrying only 33 on their roster. Get the guys, then see what can be worked out.

Well, the Reds other catcher pick Luis Torrens only managed a .664 in A ball last year (not even high-A). 

It's moot now that San Diego has him, but he was age 20 and Turner was age 24. That's the type of distinction that, for example, separated Eduardo Escobar from Pedro Florimon in my estimation, a few years ago. Torrens has a much better ceiling. Whether Cincy San Diego can keep him on the 25-man all season is a different question...

So San Diego not only traded for Diaz, the first pick but for Luis Torrens the 2nd pick; they also personally had the 3rd pick.

All of these guys were in A ball or rookie leagues last years, I am extremely curious about their end-game. Surely they can't carry all three, they didn't figure out a genius loophole in the process did they?

I think if they are cheap, and you have the 40-man room, you might as well grab a bunch now and pick the best one at the end of spring training.  Improves your odds in the Rule 5 draft considerably.  Heck, if they play DL games, they could probably roster 2 all season using only 1 roster spot, if they wanted.

Still waiting for the PTBNL for Arica.

Hey, maybe Arcia will be the PTBNL here!

SD still has his rights don't they?

I hadn't kept up with Arcia and didn't even realize he spent time with SD, but apparently he got released a couple weeks ago.

http://friarsonbase.com/2016/11/25/san-diego-padres-arcia-released-team-determined-improve-outfield/

Twins get this kid from the Padres.

http://www.gaslampball.com/2016/12/8/13882902/padres-ss-allen-cordoba-cardinals-rule-5-draft

Interesting, either he's a starter or utility.  Would make Escobar SS?  Then Polanco to 2B?  Maybe readying Dozier trade.

Is that speculation, or is this confirmed somewhere? I haven't seen anything about the Twins taking on a second Rule 5 pick.

So the Twins just traded the #1 pick for the #10 pick?

I don't think that's how this works...

So does Haley have to be on the 25 man roster all season since he was traded to us?  If not, how do teams not collude more often to swap Rule V picks?

See the 1999 Rule 5 Draft when the Twins had the #1 pick and took Jered Camp from the Indians and the Marlins had #2 and took Johan Santana from the Astros.  The Twins then traded Camp for Santana AND Cash - essentially getting Santana for zero outlay.  And as Spycake said, Rule 5 Draft rules still applied and Santana had to remain on the roster the full year.  This is probably what is happening here and as pointed out elsewhere, Haley is closer to Major League ready than Diaz.  It would be intriguing to get international money, but with SD adding so many, my guess is we get cash which we will use to pay for Haley.  Again a zero outlay situation.

I am super confused about what the heck is going on here with this draft and who we will end up with when it is all said and done. I was under the gut feeling that this new FO would identify some rare gem with the #1 pick and they'd mold him into Johan 2.0 or something. Now, it appears that there was no one they felt was worthy as must have on our 40 man available with that #1 pick. I am a little sad and disappointed about it. But, whatevs....back to DaveW-gate.

Twins get this kid from the Padres.

http://www.gaslampball.com/2016/12/8/13882902/padres-ss-allen-cordoba-cardinals-rule-5-draft

Interesting, either he's a starter or utility.  Would make Escobar SS?  Then Polanco to 2B?  Maybe readying Dozier trade.

The article specifically says the Pads will NOT trade him for Diaz.

I am super confused about what the heck is going on here with this draft and who we will end up with when it is all said and done

Sounds pretty clear that we got Haley.

But indeed it was confusing.  MLBTR breaks it down like this:

Diaz: Brewers –> Twins –> Padres
Torrens: Yankees –> Reds –> Padres
Haley: Red Sox –> Angels –> Padres –> Twins

I have no idea why Haley had to go to the Padres first, and not directly from the Angels to the Twins... although maybe he didn't really, I think it may have been a 3-way trade that just got mis-reported.

Edited by spycake

Sounds pretty clear that we got Haley.

But indeed it was confusing.  MLBTR breaks it down like this:

Diaz: Brewers –> Twins –> Padres
Torrens: Yankees –> Reds –> Padres
Haley: Red Sox –> Angels –> Padres –> Twins

I have no idea why Haley had to go to the Padres first, and not directly from the Angels to the Twins...

Haley must be the final piece needed to sweeten the pot in the Dozier trade to get Seager and Urias included. Has to be.

Is that speculation, or is this confirmed somewhere? I haven't seen anything about the Twins taking on a second Rule 5 pick.

I've been searching my history and I'm not finding it, so my post on Cordoba could be wrong.  

Does anyone know if SD still gets their international signing pool even though they are penalized for going over last year? As in they still get the $4.5M or whatever, but they can't sign anyone over $X amount. If that was the case, then they might have a ton of that pool money to spend to help facilitate trades for these Rule 5 picks.

I've been searching my history and I'm not finding it, so my post on Cordoba could be wrong.  

Not a problem.  It would make more sense to trade the top pick Diaz for the #3 pick Cordoba, but alas, that's not what happened.

I'm still kind of confused how we got the 10th pick Haley, if that's the guy we wanted all along. We pretty much had to know that none of the other teams picking in the top 10 wanted him?  And what do the Angels get out of this?  Part of the cash we will receive from the Padres for Diaz, I suppose?

Does anyone know if SD still gets their international signing pool even though they are penalized for going over last year? As in they still get the $4.5M or whatever, but they can't sign anyone over $X amount. If that was the case, then they might have a ton of that pool money to spend to help facilitate trades for these Rule 5 picks.

I cant' find anything definitive on that....but IIRC, they can trade it, but not spend it, just like before. But, I think that was a guess on the author's part.