Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/18): Gonsalves Dazzles, Park Goes Yard

Interesting point.  Perhaps it could be a separate thread, but take price and prospect rankings out of the picture, and which positions would be easiest to upgrade?

Upgrading the rotation seems obvious, but the effect of an upgrade only pays dividends once every 5 games (pitchers don't win MVP's argument).  So I would say the areas where we could plug in one player and improve the most, on average, would be center field and first base by far.  This is an odd juxtaposition since both of those positions seem absolutely entrenched for the next couple seasons meaning that they either have to improve greatly, or the team will have to work harder to improve in other areas to win despite them.  

It's a horrible position to be in as a GM or manager, because the best you can do is really just run them out there and hope for the best.  

So then where do we upgrade?  I'm hesitant to sign any veteran pitchers that would be considered an upgrade given the market.  And again, our return may be diminished by a 5th...  (of course a hitter only takes 1/9th of the at bats and maybe a 15% of plays in the field for a short stop?)  Sano is putting up Plouffe/Valencia type numbers.  We could probably upgrade pretty easily from Rosario/Grossman for not a ton of money, but both are young and have shown bursts.  I would argue that Erv and Doz, and Zuke is playing himself into that position, are perhaps our 3 most difficult players to replace, but are also maybe the 3 likeliest to be traded.  

Otherwise we're just hoping that everybody just starts playing better (a lot better), or in Nunez case, keeps playing well.  

From a trade standpoint, Sano's return value compared to the ease of replacing or upgrading would probably make by far the most sense based on his current level of production.  Do we continue to hope for better play or tear the whole thing down?

Just so we're clear, since Sano has returned from the DL and moved back to 3rd, he's hitting .269/.367/.481.

Wow, Gonsalves just keeps on rolling. His ERA now is 2.97 (I think) in AA ball. That is very impressive considering this is only his 5th start in Chattanooga. And now he is really cutting down on his walks. It will be interesting to see where he starts next year, especially if he keeps pitching like this. To pitch this well so soon coming from advanced A ball AND increase the k/9 inning rate is certainly impressive. If he keeps this up, we may see him sooner than Kohl Stewart. And who would have thought that.

Over his last 4 starts Gonsalves 13.1 K/9 (37.1%!) and a 2.31 FIP. 

Well, after the lead off batter got on base via an error, he imploded with two outs and 5 runs and a grand slam later his ERA is 0 for the game. Looks pretty good for this game on paper, too.Boshers is another of Ryan's off season bullpen fixes, 28 yrs old that nobody wanted, and a Rochester place holder. I have higher expectations for success I guess, and patience is frayed. Maybe things will change now that Ryan is gone, and guys like this won't be called up instead of prospects that are part of the future.

He had a bad game... most were disappointed that he was optioned back to Rochester a couple of weeks ago because he was pitching so well in the big leagues. I don't see much ceiling there, but there's no reason to release him or say some sort of experiment is over with him. 

Cabbage has 15 strike outs in 10 games.  That can't be good.   

But you know, he's aggressive! /sarcasm

I hope to God that's one thing that changes with a new (hopefully!) FO. We can't be pushing our minor leaguers to be over aggressive at the plate. 

FWIW, after last night's game, Park is now hitting .286/.388/.476 at AAA with a 22.4% and 10.4% K and walk rates, respectively. 

Then if you look at what he's done since July 9th (7 games), after taking a few days off for his hand injury he is hitting .333/.429/.667 with a 14.3 K% and a 10.7 BB%.

But you know, he's aggressive! /sarcasm

I hope to God that's one thing that changes with a new (hopefully!) FO. We can't be pushing our minor leaguers to be over aggressive at the plate. 

The Twins teaching over aggressiveness at the plate is one of the few things I never thought I would hear a complaint about (I'm not arguing with your point).

Old-Timey Member

FWIW, after last night's game, Park is now hitting .286/.388/.476 at AAA with a 22.4% and 10.4% K and walk rates, respectively. 

Then if you look at what he's done since July 9th (7 games), after taking a few days off for his hand injury he is hitting .333/.429/.667 with a 14.3 K% and a 10.7 BB%.

Yeah, but what;s his slash line on 92+  MPH FBs? Park had an OPS+ of 56 and OPS of .528 vs. Power Pitchers when he was with the Twins. It's not clear how hitting against AAAA retreads every night is ever going to help him overcome his inability to turn on MLB hard stuff.

His (ABW II) peripherals have been slowly improving over the last year, though his production hasn't caught up. Hopefully this is a sign that the production is starting to be impacted by those peripherals.  I suspect he gets another season in AAA, which will be the real judge on whether or not Walker has figured it out.

I agree.  I think Walker is taking necessary baby steps and that another year of AAA will answer a lot of questions.  I still love the fact that thru 5 grinding years, his numbers over a 162 game schedule are still phenomenally productive:

162 game averages

70 XBH

73% of hits are XBH's

120 RBI

35 HRs

96 Runs

202 Strike Outs

53 BB

12 SB

236 ISO

801 OPS

Just praying he can continue to grow.  He is still the 4th youngest player on AAA roster.  These averages have been reasonably consistent over the years as well.

Edited by GMinTraining

Definitely a good time to feel some optimism in the Twins pitching ranks down in the Minor Leagues.  Only a matter of time before Berrios is back, and there is another wave of young talent right behind him.  Baseball America had the Twins 2019 rotation predicted to be:

No. 1 Starter Jose Berrios
No. 2 Starter Stephen Gonsalves
No. 3 Starter Kohl Stewart
No. 4 Starter Felix Jorge
No. 5 Starter Fernando Romero

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/midseason-update-2016-minnesota-twins/#ybZoETQAHkHuAHSP.99

IF that were to come to fruition, I'd say it would be one hell of a "plan,"  one that didn't have any shortcuts at all.  Hitters in their mid-twenties prime, pitchers a tick younger with lots of fresh bullets, all the dead weight contracts gone.  Hell, might even explain holding Berrios back, saving as much money for that prime run as possible.

Provisional Member

Wow, Gonsalves just keeps on rolling. His ERA now is 2.97 (I think) in AA ball. That is very impressive considering this is only his 5th start in Chattanooga. And now he is really cutting down on his walks. It will be interesting to see where he starts next year, especially if he keeps pitching like this. To pitch this well so soon coming from advanced A ball AND increase the k/9 inning rate is certainly impressive. If he keeps this up, we may see him sooner than Kohl Stewart. And who would have thought that.

ehhh, I have thought Gonsalves over Stewart since they finished 2013

Yeah, but what;s his slash line on 92+  MPH FBs? Park had an OPS+ of 56 and OPS of .528 vs. Power Pitchers when he was with the Twins. It's not clear how hitting against AAAA retreads every night is ever going to help him overcome his inability to turn on MLB hard

Maybe not overcome his current problem; but maybe to build a little confidence that he's in the right place over here and he can hit in the US. Then attack the real problem.

• 4 weeks later...