Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: The Latest On Miguel Sano's Outfield Transition

Jimmer, I don't disagree with your points at all.  I would just note that the only time Willie Stargell was ever 6:1 188 pounds was in the 9th grade !!   :)

Hahaha! It's weird that the people at B-R would use his 9th grade height and weight on his official B-R page  ;)

Edited by jimmer

When you have a prized rookie, with a lot of expectations on his shoulders, and you're asking him to make a transition to a new position, one that he may or may not be comfortable with, one where he's going to have some growing pains, maybe even some embarrassing ones...wouldn't you want to give him the courtesy of letting him make some mistakes outside of the glare of the spotlight?

Maybe stashing him far from prying eyes and internet chatterbugs is the best thing for his development.

Regarding Killebrew--the entire time he was in Minnesota, he was stout and slow. My guess was that he went about 220 on the 5'11" frame no matter what the baseball card said. He played three complete years in left-'62-'64, first to allow Gold Glover Vic Power to play first and one year of Bob Allison, who was a pretty good outfielder (that never made sense). Harmon was adequate at best in left field from what I remember.

No, but it seems to me they sometimes go to concerted lengths to dampen fan enthusiasm.

"We're closed for the winter. Call us about tickets in April" is A strategy, I'm not convinced its a good one.

Yeah, it's simply amazing to me that this organization continues its long history of ineptitude when it comes to public relations.

The Yankees No. 1 prospect (BP) is listed at 275 lbs and 6'7", and is described as a prototypical right fielder and an above average defender who moves well even if it doesn't show up in third to home speed. I think there is a least a decent chance that a year in the outfield won't hurt Sano or the twins.

Regarding Killebrew--the entire time he was in Minnesota, he was stout and slow. My guess was that he went about 220 on the 5'11" frame no matter what the baseball card said. He played three complete years in left-'62-'64, first to allow Gold Glover Vic Power to play first and one year of Bob Allison, who was a pretty good outfielder (that never made sense). Harmon was adequate at best in left field from what I remember.

Yeah, I watched Harmon play a lot of baseball.  I don't care what he weighed, he (and many others) were a lot slower than Sano.

Yeah, it's simply amazing to me that this organization continues its long history of ineptitude when it comes to public relations.

They have moved all the PR folks to talent evaluation/scouting roles.

The Twins are a true pioneer in that regard.

It sounds to me that Sano is doing exactly what everyone would like - working on his game and conditioning just like most other guys. There is no reason that I know of that the Twins need to tell us what he had for breakfast yesterday and how the outfield training is going. Soon we will know how it is turning out so let's just be patient. 

Well, just spent a week in the Dominican.  Didn't run into Sano on the beach, so I guess that's a good thing :)

Oh, but I should add, if you ever go there, wear your Twins gear. Baseball is a big deal down there and the locals all notice.

Probably would have been hurt if you 'ran into' Sano at the beach :-)

If Sano ends up being terrible in the OF.

I have a feeling that the Twins will stop playing him in the OF. 

I'm really not worried at all.

They would likely, and likely will. But when? And if they do, and don't trade Plouffe, where do they stash him? Signing Park, and not trading Plouffe paints them in a corner. This is a team that sent EE to rummage around in LF.

They would likely, and likely will. But when? And if they do, and don't trade Plouffe, where do they stash him? Signing Park, and not trading Plouffe paints them in a corner. This is a team that sent EE to rummage around in LF.

Using Escobar as an example. If Santana didn't need replacing... Escobar may still be rummaging around LF but Santana needed replacing so it worked out. 

My thinking is that Sano would replace whoever needs replacing. Park may struggle with the size of american baseballs and big hard sliders. Mauer might get hurt. Plouffe may get traded... or play much less because Sano's bat plays bigger than Plouffe's glove.

These things just work themselves out. 

Unless he's Delmon Young. 

UNLESS HES DELMON YOUNG! I appreciate someone who can see both sides of a discussion, there have to be two sides, or it ain't a discussion. You are correct sir! It will work itself out. Everything does. The other side of the discussion is the cost in wins during this period. Two points, the thought that EE would still be rummaging around LF without an injury to guide the Twins speaks of itself. Second, Plouffe would have to approach T-Ball level aptitude to get benched. The Twins seldom bench a veteran. Regardless, is there a defensive metric for "rummaging"? :)

Using Escobar as an example. If Santana didn't need replacing... Escobar may still be rummaging around LF but Santana needed replacing so it worked out. 

My thinking is that Sano would replace whoever needs replacing. Park may struggle with the size of american baseballs and big hard sliders. Mauer might get hurt. Plouffe may get traded... or play much less because Sano's bat plays bigger than Plouffe's glove.

These things just work themselves out. 

Unless he's Delmon Young. 

It has been a looooong time since the Twins had a young player of this stature, but for the Twins, in most other situations where the roster crunch involves a young player and veterans, the young player almost always finds himself holding the short straw either on the bench or in AAA.

I don't think the Twins will do that, but what if Sano plays bad defense and starts the season cold?

Perhaps the transition to outfield is not going as well as the Twins had hoped so they are being vague about him "training" which could be anything.  If they come right out and say, "yeah, this isn't going to work" they lose any leverage they have in a Plouffe Trade."  If they say it's going great and then he doesn't end up playing out there they are liars and look bad.  The Twins don't necessarily lie about development or players.  They often are vague when they don't want the general public to know what is going on, which is what I suspect is happening. 

I think the consensus is that we haven't been offered much for Plouffe.   I am guessing they can get the "not much in a trade" any time they want to.    I don't see how they are painted in a corner by keeping him.    If he is rated an average third baseman and I am guessing there are several teams with below average third basemen that would rather have him so any negotiating power is among the teams that want him rather than lost negotiating power because the Twins might not have a spot for him.    Therefore, the first question is can Sano play the outfield?   I think he is actually quite fast so I think he will but if he cannot then the question is can Park hit?   I have no idea but if he can then we think about trading Plouffe.     Honestly, if Arcia is working that hard and it can come together I would rather have him batting than Plouffe.  I think the idea that Sano willl struggle at the plate because he has to go to the outfield is not giving him much credit.    He knows he will be in the lineup and he knows it will be because of his ability to hit.    The only logjam is if Sano cannot play the outfield and he, Arcia, Park, Plouffe, and Mauer are all hitting really well.  What a disaster that would be.

Edited by Dantes929

The Yankees No. 1 prospect (BP) is listed at 275 lbs and 6'7", and is described as a prototypical right fielder and an above average defender who moves well even if it doesn't show up in third to home speed. I think there is a least a decent chance that a year in the outfield won't hurt Sano or the twins.

Aaron Judge is who you are referring to, and he's considered an average defender in RF with a plus arm and average speed.  Judge is 3-4 inches taller and about the same weight.  Sano had a cannon at 3B (just very erratic) before his TJ surgery and it hasn't recovered full strength, and he's below average speed.  He can't be any worse than Adam Dunn or Delmon Young out there right??...

The fact that a professional front office thinks putting a 275lbs DH/Corner infielder type in the outfield having never played there on any level speaks volumes to where the Twins stack up against the league.

This isn't D-league softball. You put Sano in the outfield for an entire season and you better be prepared to score at least 30 more runs just to break even.

I've seem comps like Dave Parker and Willie Stargell and neither player was nearly as big as Sano. Stargell may have been big for the era but he was 6'2 and MAYBE 220 lbs. Parker was about the same. Again, big for the era but not even close to Sano. He's 6'5 and conservatively 270lbs. Throw in that both Parker and Stargell actually played the outfield versus Sano who never has and hopefully people start to see what a horrible idea this is. 

Glad to hear Oswaldo is "getting after it."

Me too.  Hopefully, he's also 'battling his tail off.'  I've been wondering all winter so far what he's been up to- winter ball, or what.  I've lost so much sleep over this... 

That is good news, not only on the skills front, but especially on the attitude front.  I'm really pulling for him.  I want opposing pitchers to sh*t themselves coming to Tar-zhay Field, and facing a murderous row of young sluggers.

Edited by David HK

I will ask for Patience and try to keep myself composed.

If this were a TD game thread, your capitalization of the word "patience" would concern me! :) But since it's an intellectual discussion on the decisions of the Twins FO regarding roster management, I will assume your finger just bumped the CAPS key! :)

The twins are an unusual team this year.  We have good players at every field position except catching.  We don't have a "STAR" at any.  This includes Sano, who very well may become a star but isn't after his limited MLB experience.  In every other single position we have good but only average or slightly above average players.

If any one of them takes a step back they are a liability.  The most likely to do this?  Rosario, Dozier and Escobar, in my opinion.  If any one of them breaks further out they become a "Star".  Likely to do so, Sano, Mauer and Escobar.  Escobar is on both lists because his projection last year was much less than where he ended.  If he demonstrates that last year is where he really is then he is clearly one of the leading shortstops in the American League.  If he steps back, he's a liability.

We also don't need one of these to fall on their face to create an opening.  If Buxton or Max really steps up there is no reason not to replace an average player with someone that is proving to be a Star.  Of course, this is the Twins we're talking about.

The twins are an unusual team this year.  We have good players at every field position except catching.  We don't have a "STAR" at any.  This includes Sano, who very well may become a star but isn't after his limited MLB experience.  In every other single position we have good but only average or slightly above average players.

If any one of them takes a step back they are a liability.  The most likely to do this?  Rosario, Dozier and Escobar, in my opinion.  If any one of them breaks further out they become a "Star".  Likely to do so, Sano, Mauer and Escobar.  Escobar is on both lists because his projection last year was much less than where he ended.  If he demonstrates that last year is where he really is then he is clearly one of the leading shortstops in the American League.  If he steps back, he's a liability.

We also don't need one of these to fall on their face to create an opening.  If Buxton or Max really steps up there is no reason not to replace an average player with someone that is proving to be a Star.  Of course, this is the Twins we're talking about.

I would argue Sano will be that star.   But you can win a championship without a star.  If you have 3-5 guys that could have a WAR in the 2.5 to 5 range you can have a good team.     Dozier, Plouffe, Sano, Buxton, Rosario, and even a slight bounce back from Mauer could be in that range.