Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Article: No Juice Podcast #44: Life in the Minors with AJ Pettersen

What is life like on the bus and trying to make it on a minor league paycheck?

On this week's No Juice Podcast Dan Anderson and Parker Hageman talk with former Twins' farmhand AJ Pettersen on his experience in the bus leagues. Pettersen peels back the curtain on minor league life. He teaches us all how to survive on $5 a day.

Listen up.Listen below, on iTunes or on Stitcher:

NO JUICE PODCAST, EPISODE #44: MINOR LEAGUE LIFE WITH AJ PETTERSEN

Click here to view the article

I think it speaks volumes about the need for minor leaguers to make even a little bit more money.

On one hand, it seems to me to be the cost of living the dream. Internships and apprenticeships in various other industries pay next to nothing as well. On the other hand, this is a $9 billion dollar industry now. Stands to reason that some increase is pay is merited. 

Beyond that, it is something that could provide a competitive advantage to the team that does that. Often, the low-paid prospects -- frequently the ones in the later rounds of the draft or college grads -- are forced to find offseason work in order to cover the cost of living. The high draft picks and guys that get healthy bonuses are able to work or not work as they choose. The working players have less time dedicated towards conditioning and improving their play. 

Maybe in some cases players are already tabbed as "organization filler" by the front office but every so often that type of player winds up making an impact. If a team is able to provide just a bit more to cover the player year-round, then there may be better returns later. 

I remember trying to figure it out, and if they doubled the monthly salary for each minor leaguer not on the 40 man roster and not yet a minor league free agent, it would add up to less than $2 million a year. 

I guess as an MLB team, I would look at that - in today's economics - as a great way to help make the lives of your minor leaguers more comfortable. I see no negative in that. 

I do think that the academy in Ft. Myers is a great thing and helps a lot for guys at Instructs or during spring training when they don't make anything but a little per diem.